Learn the cause and how to resolve the ORA-01031 error message in Oracle.
When you encounter an ORA-01031 error, the following error message will appear:
- ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
Cause of Error
You attempted to perform an operation for which you do not have the appropriate privileges. Some of the more common causes are:
- You tried to change an Oracle username or password without having the appropriate privileges.
- You tried to perform an UPDATE to a table, but you only have SELECT access to the table.
- You tried to start up an Oracle database using CONNECT INTERNAL.
- You tried to install an Oracle database without having the appropriate privileges to the operating-system.
How to Resolve the Error
The option(s) to resolve this Oracle error are:
You can have the Oracle DBA grant you the appropriate privileges that you are missing.
You can have the Oracle DBA execute the operation for you.
If you are having trouble starting up Oracle, you may need to add the Oracle user to the dba group.